Setting up a new business

Starting a new business is an exciting time. When you start a business within our service area there are a few things you need to be aware of before you begin trading.

Whether your business is food related or industrial or other, you may be creating some form of wastewater (or trade waste) that needs to be treated before it can be discharged to the sewer network.

Different types of businesses will have different trade waste responsibilities.

business owner

Food businesses

If your business prepares, produces or serves food you may be creating waste water that requires treatment by a grease trap. All food businesses need to hold a Trade Waste Consent with us. Visit our Food businesses page to find out more.

Industrial businesses

If your business undertakes industrial processes and generates waste water requiring discharge to sewer, you will need to hold a Trade Waste Agreement with us.

Visit our Industrial businesses page to find out more.

Other business types

Businesses who don’t fall into the ‘food’ or ‘industrial’ category, but the business discharges low volumes of low strength wastewater, similar to a normal residential household, are classified as ‘deemed customers’.

A deemed customer does not need to pay trade waste charges or hold a site-specific trade waste agreement. Instead you can find a letter of consent to discharge, which we suggest you download and keep for your records.

Other responsibilities and obligations

As a business owner you have other responsibilities and obligations when it comes to your water account.

Commercial property tenants

Are you setting up a new business in a property you are leasing?

  • The owner of the property is responsible for water usage and sewerage charges.
  • Depending on the terms of your lease agreement the property owner might decide to pass along the charges to you as the property renter.

Are you changing the interior of the property?

  • You might need to submit a plumbing application with us to make sure the changes to the internal plumbing comply with the water services to the property.

Commercial property owners

Are you setting up a new business in a property you own?

  • Your solicitor or conveyancer will give us details to set up your account. If the details received on your first bill are incorrect please contact us.
  • As the owner you are responsible for water usage and sewerage charges on the property.
  • Any tenant of the property that discharges trade waste is responsible for any trade waste charges.
  • If your tenant leaves the premise, and a grease trap remains in place on the property, you shall become responsible for the upkeep of the device and any trade waste charges. If you wish to stop your trade waste costs you can cut and seal the grease trap.
  • If you wish, you may elect to have all charges that are raised on this property, including water and sewerage service charges, other authorities’ charges, and usage charges sent directly to the occupier as a third party, please complete this Owner’s responsibility form and email it to us.

Moving or closing your business?

Whether you are moving to a new location or closing the business for good, before you leave the premises you’ll need to close your account and cancel your Trade Waste Consent or Agreement.

For more information visit our Moving or closing your business page.

Please tell us what you think.
If you require a response, please Contact us.