Skip to the main content

City West Water

Property development

Application forms and information for property developers.

Our Development Servicing team understands the property development industry works in partnership with developers to create new ideas and work practices.

Building over an Easement

What is an easement?

Easements are sections of private property that have a water main or sewerage pipe running through them. Easements are found on many residential properties. If you have one it will be marked on your land title.

Because we will occasionally need access to the easement to make repairs or maintain the pipes it is worth taking this into your planning.

The Build Over Easement guidelines have been created to provide consistency across the Melbourne’s water authorities and to provide an outline of the requirements which need to be considered when planning to construct works over the Water Authority’s easement or within 1.0 metre of sewer and/or water assets.

This is a legislated requirement under the provisions of the Water Industry Act 1989.

All diagrams can be downloaded here.

If you have any comments or feedback about the Guidelines, please contact Connections and Metering at or 1300 299 228.

Pressure Sewer Areas

A small portion of industrial/commercial properties are serviced by a pressure sewer system. This type of system comprises of a pressure sewer pipe located within the street which is owned and maintained by City West Water. We also own and maintain part of the property boundary assembly which connects the property to the pressure sewer pipe.

Within the property is located a collection tank and grinder pump which pumps the sewage into the pressure sewer pipe. The collection pit and grinder pump is owned and operated by the property owner.

You will be notified if your property is located within a pressure sewer area at the time you make application to connect your property to our sewer.

Alternative formats

If you are having trouble accessing information on this page and require support for alternative formats, please call us on 131 691 or click the button to complete our contact us form.

Please tell us what you think.