The basics of building and renovating

Thinking about renovating or building on your property?

It doesn’t matter the size of the project, avoid making costly mistakes with your build or renovation by reading our guide to building and renovating basics.

If you are undertaking any renovation or development we can work with you to make sure the correct water, sewerage and (where available) recycled water connections are installed.


Discover the requirements for building over easements.

An easement is a section of property that has a water main or sewerage pipe running through it. You will need permission to build over or near a Greater Western Water easement. Read our building over an easement page for more!

worker med

What you need to do 

Step 1: Decide if you need a contractor to complete the work.

The first step is to decide if you wish to engage the services of a building professional (this can include a registered Builder, Draftsperson or Architect) to manage your project. Your contractor will assist you with the development of plans for your project, including the location of water and sewerage services on your property.

An experienced contractor will be able to help you make sure you have lodged all appropriate paperwork with your local council and Greater Western Water. However if you wish to obtain this information yourself you can simply follow the steps outlined. 


Step 2: Plan your build

You (and your builder) will need to know where the water and sewerage systems are located on your property before undertaking any digging or renovating work. This includes understanding the size, depth and offset of the services on your property so that you don’t accidently damage any Greater Western Water assets.

There are three types of plans you will need to obtain when building, renovating or demolishing your property:

  • Property Sewerage Plan - This provides the location of sewerage pipes that are located on your property. To request any of the above plans visit the request a property sewerage plan page.
  • Sewer Detail Plan - This provides the location of our sewer main to help your building professional with the design process.
  • Water Detail Plan - This provides the location of our water main to help your building professional with the design process.


Step 3: Get approval for works

Please note any works (such as adding or relocating toilets, showers or sinks) that require changes to existing property sewerage pipes will require the services of a licensed plumber and the consent of Greater Western Water.

Visit Property+ and apply online for approvals.


Step 4: Start your project

With your plan bedded down and approvals for the works you wish to complete in your project you are ready to start.

Please tell us what you think.
If you require a response, please Contact us.