Skip to the main content

City West Water

Request a payment extension

Do you need more time to pay your bill? Request a seven day extension.

We understand that sometimes life can get in the way of paying a bill, so we offer a seven day extension on current accounts.

To request an extension please complete the form below, including your account number which you will find on your most recent bill.

Please note: once you have completed this application your bill is due seven days from the day you submit this form. If you are experiencing financial hardship give us a call to discuss other extension options on 131 691. 

Avoid bill shock. Join a regular payment plan.

We will help you reduce the impact of larger bills by offering our residential customers the option of joining a regular payment plan.

Terms and conditions

  • Our customers can apply for a maximum of two extensions per 12 month period under this program.
  • If you have already received two extensions on your bill, please call us on 131 691 to discuss other payment and assistance options.
  • Customers with accounts that are currently under dispute must contact us to discuss extension options on 131 691.
  • Failure to pay the full amount within the seven day extension period may result in further collection activities by a representative of City West Water.
  • It is at our discretion to approve a bill extension under this program.
  • Nothing in this program or these terms and conditions affect any other rights customers have, including under our Customer Charter.
What's this
Do you have a Pensioners or Concession card?

We offer a discount of up to 50 per cent off water, sewerage services and usage charges to some concession card holders. Check if you are eligible for a discount on your bill.

Please tell us what you think.
If you require a response, please Contact us.