Help with your bill

As we all work together to slow the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19), we understand the impacts this may have on our customers.

Whether you are a resident living in our service area or operate a business in our community, if you need some assistance with your Greater Western Water bill right now, we are here to help.

Please contact us to discuss your needs. We have programs in place to assist customers experiencing financial difficulty and can help you decide the best support for your circumstances.

We also continue to look at other options we can implement to help our customers during this time. 

We are very mindful of the financial situation facing many people. We won’t be restricting water supply to any customers who cannot pay their bills as a result of the impacts of COVID-19.

Please be patient if we take a little more time than usual to respond, as we are supporting a number of customer requests at this time. 

If you have been financially impacted by COVID-19 please contact us to discuss payment options for you.

Payment assistance

There are multiple ways to pay your bill, which may assist your current financial circumstance.

Payment extensions

All residential and business customers can request a payment extension.

If you need more time to pay, you can apply for a payment extension online. This service is available to all residential and business customers.

Once you’ve submitted the form, your extension will be instantly approved, and a new payment date will appear at the bottom of the screen.

If are experiencing genuine financial difficulties and require longer to pay, please call 13 44 99 and speak with our supportive and understanding team to discuss your current circumstance and options.

Payment plans

We offer payment plans, as well as Centrepay for eligible customers.

Payment plans

Payment plans help you make weekly, fortnightly or monthly payment instalments throughout the year, to reduce the impact of receiving a larger bill every quarter. Generally, only customers who have held a Greater Western Water account for 12 months or more are eligible to set up an payment plan. 

If you haven’t held an account for 12 months, please call us on 13 44 99 to discuss your circumstances further. 

Eligible residential customers who have held a Greater Western Water account for 12 months or more and have registered for MyAccount can set up an payment plan in MyAccount. 

 Learn about MyAccount
Already registered? Login to MyAccount instead. 


Centrepay is a free bill paying service for Centrelink customers to arrange regular deductions from your Centrelink payment to pay your water bill. 

You can set up Centrepay the following ways: 

  • Call us on 13 44 99 and we will set it up for you. 
  • Online using your Centrelink online account through myGov. 
  • Using the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app on your mobile device. 
  • In person at a Centrelink service centre.  
  • By calling Centrelink directly on your regular payment phone number. 

Residential hardship support 

We have a range of payment support options to help residential customers experiencing genuine financial difficulties. 

These offerings are in line with our Residential Hardship Policy. Please see our Policies and Charters page.

Water Assist Program

Funded support to help customers reduce their residential water use.  

Water Assist Program is a funded plumbing program aimed at reducing residential customer water bills which may have increased due to leaking pipes or appliances. The program is funded by the Department of Environment, Land, Water & Planning’s (DELWP) Community Rebate Program. Customers can access a capped amount of minor plumbing services over a two-year period.  

How does it work? 

Eligible customers are sent an invitation to receive a free household water audit. If the plumber identifies any inefficiency our Contractor may undertake repairs up to a capped amount. The program is funded by Greater Western Water at no cost to the customer. Repairs may include but are not limited to: adjusting leaking taps, replacing old-style showerheads or repairs to inefficient toilets. 

Who is eligible? 

Residential customers who:  

  • are an owner or a tenant 
  • does not reside in a Department of Health and Human Service (DHHS) property 
    • DHHS provide their own maintenance service to their tenants allowing the GWW budget to be allocated to customers who cannot benefit from any other plumbing assistance program 
  • have not claimed the full Water Assist cap amount before in the last 2 financial years 
  • are experiencing high water usage 
  • is having difficulty engaging and paying for their own plumber 
  • is having difficulty paying their GWW bill or is at risk of their account moving into arrears due to high water usage 

Want to apply for Water Assist? 

If you believe you meet the above criteria, call 13 44 99 to speak with our caring and understanding team. 

Utility Relief Grant Scheme

A grant scheme to assist low-income residential households in financial crisis.  

A grant scheme, offered through the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), to assist low-income residential households who are in a financial crisis with no way of paying their mains electricity, gas or water bill due and are at risk of disconnection or restriction of supply. 

How much is the grant for? 

The amount of a grant is based on the amount owing at the time of application. A cap of $650 on each utility account cannot be exceeded, of $1,300 for single-source households.  

Who is eligible? 

  • evidence of family violence 
  • decrease in income (must have occurred within the last 12 months) 
    • eg: loss/reduction of employment/personal or combined household income 
  • high unexpected expenses on essential (must have occurred within the last 12 months) 
    • eg: relocation costs, medical expenses, large emergency purchases or repairs. 
  • the cost of shelter is more than 30% of household income 

Want to apply for a Utility Relief Grant? 

If you meet the above criteria you can apply by calling 13 44 99 to speak with our caring and understanding team.

Family Violence

The safety of our customers and employees is paramount at Greater Western Water. We are committed to providing respectful and confidential assistance to individuals experiencing family violence, including: 

  • maintaining the security of individuals stories, account information and data 
  • providing appropriate financial support, including financial assistance and other external supports available within the community.  

Please call 13 44 99 to discuss your circumstance in confidence, so we can understand how to best support you. 

Our Family Violence Policy outlines more information about our full commitment. Please see our Policies and Charters page.

Hardship Grant

Residential customers who can prove they are experiencing extreme financial difficulties may be eligible for direct financial assistance, to help reduce overdue payments for Greater Western Water bills. 

Who is eligible for a Grant? 

A customer that is identified (either by themselves, Greater Western Water, or an independent accredited financial counsellor) as having the intention but not the financial capacity to make the required payments within the timeframe set out in the payment terms.  

Please note: this grant is subject to approval based on an assessment by Greater Western Water. 

Want to apply for a Grant? 

Please call 13 44 99 to speak with our caring and understanding team to undertake an assessment.   

Business hardship support 

Our business customers can request to extend their bill due date with a payment extension. We offer a range of bill extension options, to apply please use our online request a payment extension form, or call 13 44 99 and speak with our caring and understanding team to discuss your current circumstance. 

If you complete the online form, the extension date will appear at the bottom of the screen automatically and you will receive a confirmation email. 

Looking for previous bills?

Eligible residential customers can download previous bills and view upcoming payments in your online account portal – MyAccount.

Please tell us what you think.
If you require a response, please Contact us.