Apply for a concession

We offer a rebate of up to 50% off water, sewerage and usage charges to customers who are concession card holders. This financial year’s maximum concession amount for the whole year is $345.50 per annum and maximum quarterly benefit of $86.37 (for financial year 2021/2022).

Eligible concession cards include:

  • Pension Concession Card
  • Health Care Card
  • Department of Veteran's Affairs Gold Card Repatriation Health Card For All Conditions (War Widow, TPI, POW & EDA)

For a comprehensive eligible card list see the concessions at a glance fact sheet or visit the Department of Health (DH).


Before applying please note that to receive a rebate, all concession card holders must:

  • be registered with Greater Western Water
  • be the primary account holder
  • use the property for residential purposes
  • be applying for the cardholder's principal place of residence
  • ensure the name and address on the concession card match the name and address on the bill
  • hold one of the eligible cards.

For more information on eligibility visit the DH Water and sewerage concession page.

Two seniors sitting on a couch having a cup of tea.

How to apply for a concession

You can apply for a concession on your account in the following ways:


Eligible residential customers can apply for a concession in MyAccount.

Register for MyAccount
Already registered? Log in instead.

Return a form

If you meet all of the above eligibility, download a copy of the concession application via the DH Water and sewerage concession page page.

Return the completed form along with a photocopy or scan of your concession card to the address below, or by emailing our concessions team.

Greater Western Water
Locked Bag 350
Sunshine VIC 3020

Concession FAQs

How long does it take to apply a concession to my account?

It can take up to 5 working days to apply a concession on your account as we validate your application with Centrelink. Please note we are experiencing an influx in applications and delays in applying account concessions may occur. 

Can I backdate a concession on my account?

If you are applying for a concession on your account and hoping to backdate the concession to the date your card was issued, please note that we can only backdate concessions up to a maximum of 12 months. 

Can I apply a concession on Parks and/or Waterways and Drainage charges?

No, unfortunately concession is not able to be claimed on Parks charge or Waterways and Drainage charge or when you are a Landlord only (not residing in the property). We collect an annual Parks Charge on behalf of Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning. This charge helps fund the purchase, development and maintenance of Melbourne's major parks, gardens and waterways. For more information visit Parks Victoria website. 

How many properties can I claim under a concession benefit?

Concession benefits can only be applied to your primary place of residence. 

I live at the property but my name isn’t on the bill, how do I claim a concession?

If you are an eligible Concession Card holder and your name is not on the bill, you may still be eligible to receive a concession benefit. Please email us to discuss your options. 

If I am a business customer can I apply for a concession?

No, unfortunately concession benefits are not applicable for business customers. 

What other financial assistance is available?

We offer a range of payment options and support to assist customer experiencing difficulties paying their bill. 

  • You can choose to make smaller payments more frequently to help reduce the impact of receiving a larger bill, by setting up direct debit, or a payment plan. 
  • Visit our Payment plans page to set up a payment plan. 
  • Visit our Payment options page to see more information on direct debit. 
  • We offer a range of payment programs and access to government grants. See our Help with your bill for more information. 
  • Sometimes life can get in the way of paying a bill so you may need a little longer to make your payment. See our Request a payment extension page for more information. 

How can I access support in my local community?

If you want to access support from external organisations in your own community you can contact the following organisations: 

  • customers in Hobsons Bay, Maribyrnong, Melbourne, Moonee Valley and Wyndham can contact Anglicare on 9731 2500
  • customers in Brimbank and Melton can contact Good Shepherd on 1300 786 696
  • customers in City of Yarra can contact Kildonan Child and Family Services on 1800 685 682
  • customers in City of Hume can contact Lentara Uniting Care on 1300 882 035

Helpful links

Are you experiencing financial difficulties?

We understand that customers face genuine financial difficulties and we are here to help. We offer a range of payment support programs and assist in applying for government grants. Find out how we can help with your bill.

Please tell us what you think.
If you require a response, please Contact us.

Not what you're looking for?