Freedom of information

Understand your rights under the Freedom of Information Act 1982 and make a request.

Under the Freedom of Information Act 1982 (the Act), everyone has the right to ask for access to documents held by City West Water.

You have the right to:

  • Access documents about the activities of City West Water.
  • Access documents about your personal affairs.
  • Request that incorrect or misleading information held by City West Water about you be amended.

What documents can I access?

  • Documents created by City West Water.
  • Documents supplied to City West Water by an external party.

You can apply for access to documents not older than 5 July 1978. However, if the documents are about your personal affairs, there is no time limit.

What documents can’t I access?

Not all documents are available but this should not deter you from asking for access as each document is assessed on its merits before a decision is made.

The Act allows City West Water to refuse access to some documents including:

  • Cabinet documents.
  • Some internal working documents.
  • Law enforcement documents.
  • Documents covered by legal professional privilege (legal advice).
  • Documents containing personal information about other people.
  • Documents containing information provided to City West Water in confidence.
  • Documents containing information provided to City West Water by a business.
  • Documents which are covered by secrecy provisions in other laws.

You may be refused access to an entire document or you may be given access to a document with some information deleted.

Part II Statement

The Part II Statement outlines the functions of City West Water and provides an overview of the type of documents and information we hold in relation to these functions.

We aim to make our information and documents easily accessible to members of the public.

If you are not able to find the document or information you are trying to locate, you can search our website or contact us.

Statement 1 – organisation and functions

City West Water is one of three metropolitan Melbourne's water businesses owned by the Victorian Government.

We provide drinking water, sewerage, trade waste and recycled water services to customers in Melbourne’s central business district, inner and western suburbs.

Our service area includes, Brimbank, Hobsons Bay, Maribyrnong, Melbourne (north of the Yarra River), Moonee Valley, Wyndham, Yarra and parts of Melton and Hume.

Our Customers First strategy has been guided by what our customers want and value. It commits us to delivering services that are safe, affordable and reliable whilst being accessible and easy to deal with.

Each year we supply around 93 billion litres of drinking water to our customers and transfer approximately 94 per cent of the sewage and trade waste we collect to Melbourne Water’s Western Treatment Plant in Werribee. The remaining six per cent is treated at our Altona Treatment Plant.

In addition to our core business, we have many programs and policies in place like our Community and Social Involvement Strategy, Environmental Sustainability Plan, Cleaner Production Strategy and residential water conservation activities, to help us achieve our vision to be a truly sustainable water business.

Information on these programs and more can be found throughout this website and in Our Environment and Community sections.

Our structure

Our business is managed by an Executive Leadership Team, which consists of the Managing Director, four General Managers, Chief Financial Officer and Chief Information Officer.

The Executive Leadership Team oversees policy implementations, the day-to-day management of our people, and the delivery of services to our customers. Learn more about our Executive Leadership Team.

Our Board of Directors are appointed by our shareholder, the Victorian State Government. Directors provide the Board with a broad range of skills to the business, including management, engineering, financial, legal and environmental expertise. Learn more about our Board of directors.

Statement 2 – categories of documents maintained by City West Water

City West Water develops and maintains a wide range of documents.

The types of documents include:

  • policies, plans, procedures and guidelines
  • briefings and reports
  • registers and databases
  • correspondence
  • applications
  • permits, agreements and licenses
  • financial records
  • audio visual material

Search the City West Water website for more information on these categories.

Statement 3 - Publications

This is material that City West Water has published or that is available for inspection. It includes our Annual Report, Drinking Water Quality Report and Reconciliation Action Plan.

Our Annual Reports provide an overview of our operational performance, audited financial reports and key achievements of the year.

Statement 4 – Subscription Services

There are currently no City West Water subscription services.

Statement 5 – How to make a Freedom of Information request

What is Freedom of Information (FOI)?

City West Water is subject to the Freedom of Information Act 1982 (FOI Act).

The FOI Act allows for people to gain access to information and documents maintained and held by City West Water. The FOI Act gives people the right to request documents relating to their personal affairs, as well as information about any of the activities being conducted as part of City West Water.
A Freedom of Information (FOI) request needs to be made in writing to the agency that holds the documents being requested.

How do I make a request under FOI?

Before submitting a FOI request online you are encouraged to contact us as the information may already be publically available without having to make an FOI request.

If you still wish to make a request, click on the link to make an FOI request and pay the requisite application fee.

What will it cost?

Fees and charges are set by the State Government and include:

  From 1 July 2019
Application fee $29.60
Search charge $22.20 per hour
Photocopying (black & white) $0.20 per A4 page

Some fees may not apply. Please submit a copy of your concession or health care card and we will let you know.

If we estimate that your charges may exceed $50, we will ask you if you wish to proceed and (if so) you will need to pay a deposit.

Submit a Freedom of Information request online today

For submissions via post

FOI Officer, City West Water
Locked Bag 350
Sunshine VIC 3020

Please ensure your cheque/money order for $29.60 is made payable to City West Water.

How long will it take?

We must issue our decision within 30 days of a valid application being received unless that period has been extended in accordance with the Act. Delays may occur if your application:

  • Is not clear and requires further clarification.
  • Does not include the application fee.
  • Requires payment of a deposit.


The Act requires City West Water to consult with third parties about your request if the information contained in the relevant documents falls within certain exemptions. As part of the consultation process, your name and a brief description of your request will be provided to any person or body with whom we must consult.

Please tell us what you think.
If you require a response, please Contact us.

Not what you're looking for?