Since 2018, we have been running a digital metering trial with selected households in Richmond and Docklands. The trial will come to an end on 30 April 2021.
The purpose was to determine whether digital meters can increase water savings for our customers and us through:
- timely leak detection and alerts
- access to near real-time water usage data.
Gathering this information is becoming vital to managing our most precious resource as:
- Melbourne's population is set to double within 50 years
- climate projections indicate less rainfall in our region.
We are now assessing the trial learnings as we explore:
- the role of digital meter technology in our future service offerings
- the future of water management.
Digital metering joint program
Despite our trial ending, we continue to work with South East Water and Yarra Valley Water on a digital metering joint program, determining how and when to roll out digital meters based on customer benefits.