Trial has now ended
Please note: The trial come to an end on 30 April 2021. The following page is for project reference only.
Since 2018 we ran a digital metering trial with selected households in Richmond and Docklands.
The purpose was to determine whether digital meters can increase water savings for our customers and us through:
- timely leak detection and alerts
- access to near real-time water usage data.
Gathering this information is becoming vital to managing our most precious resource as:
- Melbourne's population is set to double within 50 years
- climate projections indicate less rainfall in our region.
We are now assessing the trial learnings as we explore:
- the role of digital meter technology in our future service offerings
- the future of water management.
Digital metering joint program
Despite our trial ending, we continue to work with South East Water and Yarra Valley Water on a digital metering joint program, determining how and when to roll out digital meters based on customer benefits.