- Use water efficiently
- Enjoy a great shower – 3-star quality
- Reduce your hot water use
Installing water efficient showerheads is one of the easiest ways to improve water efficiency in your home and reduce your water and energy bills and environmental impact.
You can get a new showerhead for each shower in your home for FREE! All you need to do is swap your old showerheads and we'll give you brand new 3-star showerheads. You can do this by visiting one of our council showerhead exchange locations.
Old style showerheads can use up to 20 litres of water per minute, compared to 3-star water-efficient models which use around nine litres per minute. That's a saving of up to 13,500 litres of water a year, plus associated energy savings by using less hot water.
We’ve updated our showerhead exchange locations to make it;
- more efficient
- and more convenient.
There are now a total of 8 locations available across 8 city council areas. Visit a store near you today and start enjoying the benefits a 3-star water efficient showerhead can bring. View our step-by-step instructions on replacing your showerhead.
Please check the exchange locations directly for their opening hours.
- Showerheads come in two colours - chrome or white at council locations
- A handheld model is also available where a handheld model is being replaced
- You can exchange more than one
- 3-star showerheads are not compatible with gravity fed or some older instantaneous hot water systems.
Download the following showerhead exchange locations form for more information:
Make your home more water efficient when you take part in City West Water’s free showerhead exchange program.
Follow our step by step instructions to replace your showerhead:
- make sure the shower taps are off! Remove existing showerhead arm (turn counterclockwise), using a spanner and cloth if needed. Do not force it - you may damage the wall.
- clean the thread of supply outlet with steel wool or a stiff brush and dry the area thoroughly
- wind about six rotations of the teflon tape, provided to you at the showerhead exchange day, around the supply outlet. Keep the outermost thread clear of tape
- place flange over supply outlet
- attach showerhead to the arm. Screw new showerhead arm onto supply outlet (turn clockwise to tighten).
Dos and Don’ts of Changing Your Showerhead
Don’t reverse the screwing action as it will break the Teflon seal.
Always use a spanner and a cloth to fix the showerhead. Don’t use the actual shower arm as it may break.
Make sure you don’t over tighten the shower arm as you may damage the wall or plumbing fittings.
If you have difficulty with any of the above steps call a plumber.
If you have gravity fed hot water service or an older instantaneous hot water service, you may need to seek assistance from a plumber.
Note: Instructions are also supplied with the showerhead.
Owners of gravity fed hot water systems are advised not to change over their showerheads as part of this program, as these systems generally operate at a low flow.
Gravity fed hot water systems already have a very low water pressure due to only being assisted by gravity and as such, the flow rate is normally around 10 litres per minute, making them quite efficient.
Some old instantaneous hot water systems may also be incompatible with a low flow or water-efficient showerhead. Please check with a plumber before exchanging your showerhead.
The old showerheads are collected and recycled as scrap metal. Depending on the exchange location, proceeds from the scrap metal are donated to a local charity or council environmental programs, depending on who is running the exchange.
You will not be able to get your original showerhead back once you have handed it in.
A 3-star water efficient showerhead can reduce energy and water bills by cutting up to 13,500 litres of water per person, per year, for the life of the showerhead.
Chrome and white showerheads are available through council exchange locations.
You will receive a new 3-star Flexispary Bermuda II Hi Rise showerhead. This showerhead normally costs around $30, however it is provided free of charge when you exchange your old one. The Flexispray Bermuda II HiRise was rated second for overall 'satisfaction' in a CHOICE magazine trial of water efficient showerheads.
When you hand in your old showerhead you will receive a new, 3-star water-efficient showerhead and arm, a flange and plumbers tape. The pack you will receive contains everything that you need to install the new showerhead.
If you're renting you require your landlord's permission (verbal or other) before exchanging your showerhead. We do not require any documentation to confirm this, however it should be noted that it is your responsibility to obtain approval from your landlord.
To exchange your showerheads you need to bring:
- the old showerhead and arm (or multiple showerheads - you can exchange more than one)
- your City West Water bill.