How We Can Help

Experiencing financial difficulties? We understand things can be difficult sometimes, so call us on 131 691 to discuss one of the many ways that we can help.

Like More Time to Pay Your Bill?

You can arrange for more time to pay your bill or arrange to make a part-payment towards it.

Pay the Easyway

If you are a residential customer and want to reduce the impact of larger bills, Easyway offers the option of paying by easy smaller instalments, involving weekly, fortnightly, or monthly payments. You will also receive an Easyway card to make a quick payment in person at Australia Post, pay over the phone or internet, or use BPAY™. Or, you can arrange to pay the instalments by direct debit. Call us on 131 691 to arrange your plan.

Utility Relief Grants Scheme

You may be entitled to one-off financial assistance through the Utility Relief Grants scheme. City West Water can assist you when applying for this assistance from the Department of Human Services.

City West Water Financial Hardship Assistance

You may be eligable for financial assistance under our Hardship Assistance Program. Call us on 131 691 for more information. 

Financial Counselling

We can refer you to an independant financial counsellor free of charge!

  • Please call us on 131 691 and let one of our friendly team guide you through the options available and assist you with any applications that you need to make. We are available from 8.30am to 5.00pm, Monday to Friday. 
  • City West Water offers a discount of up to 50 per cent off water and sewerage service and usage charges, to a maximum of $283.90 per year, to holders of the following concession cards:

    • Pension Concession Card
    • Health Care Card
    • Department of Veteran's Affairs Gold Card Repatriation Health Card For All Conditions (War Widow or TPI).

     For more information, see Concessions and Rebates.