Skip to the main content

City West Water

Setting up a new business

Find out what your water and waste water responsibilities are when starting a new business.

Starting a new business is an exciting time. When you start a business within our service area there are a few things you need to be aware of before you begin trading.

Commercial property tenants

Are you setting up a new business in a property you are leasing?

  • The owner of the property is responsible for water usage and sewerage charges.

  • Depending on the terms of your lease agreement  the property owner might decide to pass along the charges to you the property renter.

  • Are you creating liquid waste?

Waste water from food preparation, washing dishes and cleaning that goes back into the sewer may need to be treated before it can be discharged. You’ll need a trade waste agreement and potentially a grease trap.

Visit our trade waste pages to find out more about setting up a trade waste agreement.

  • Are you changing the interior of the property?

    You might need to submit a plumbing application with us to make sure the changes to the internal plumbing comply with the water services to the property.

Commercial property owners

  • Your solicitor or conveyancer will give us details to set up your account. If the details received on your first bill are incorrect please contact us.
  • As the owner you are responsible for water usage and sewerage charges on the property.
  • Any tenant of the property that discharges trade waste are responsible for any trade waste charges.
  • If your tenant leaves the premise you are responsible for the grease trap on the property and will be charge trade waste costs. If you wish to stop your trade waste costs you can close and seal the grease trap.
Businesses with complex needs

Is your business large and complex? We aim to provide excellent customer service to every business in our service area. If you need help with trade waste or other business needs please contact us.

Do I need a Trade Waste agreement?

If you are discharging any liquid waste from the production of food, washing dishes or cleaning you will need a trade waste agreement. Visit our What is Trade Waste page for more information.

Please tell us what you think.